Retired couple experience a leak in their home

Our case this time was a retired couple, existing on Attendance Allowance and pension.  They live in a rented flat and the flat above them had a leak while the tenant was away.  The leak was a sewerage pipe which caused considerable damage to their belongings as well as the bathroom, kitchen hallway and lounge.  The physical repairs will be carried out, but the landlord lives the other side of the world so this is causing them untold delays.  They also don’t have any  contents insurance, so are unable to buy the items that need to be replaced.  We agreed to send them £100 so that they can purchase what they need.